What NOT to experience in Hydra
- Charter tourism and Scandinavian speaking tourists (this is mostly relevant to Scandinavians !) Most waiters speak English.
- You cannot rent bicycles or scooters on the island, it simply does not exist. (You can, however, take a day trip to neighboring island Poros or Spetses, only ½ hour away, where this kind of action is possible).
- You will not find sandy white beaches and swimmingpools. Even swimmingpools are prohibited although some private people have one.
- Pubcrawls and arranged tours of the island - sorry, but you are on your own.
- That everything is very cheap - expect price levels as at home.
- There are no shopping malls and big supermarkets.
- Hotels, located 10 metres from the beach.This too is not allowed, since the entire island is preserved by the Greek state and building and development plans are strictly controlled.